February 2, 2009

Character Copying. By Pop Culture I Meant Geek Culture.

Seeing this post over at girlirl, while being a good commentary on the lack of character customization in WAR, also made me want to challenge that notion. And I'm going to do it the only way I know how: recreating characters from pop culture.




Here's the Hulk, but this one was a gimme. You can't give orcs hair so it wasn't perfect but all you really need him to be is big, green and shirtless so this one is a success.










This here is the face of Everquest, Firiona Vie. This was the closest ponytail style, but I think using a Sorceress would have made for a closer stance. Just pretend that the sword is a staff and we're good to go.












It's the gamedom's favourite lawyer Phoenix Wright! I found that the Bright Wizard had the most unique hair and beard options. There was, sadly, nothing to match Apollo's hair though.






It's Wolverine! To be honest, that Bright Wizard hairstyle just wrote itself. Too bad he didn't have any non-ridiculous sideburns to choose from. It's was either foot-long mutton chops or nothing. Think of him as Wolverine if he was conceived back when that beard was in fashion. Which, come to think of it, was always.







This Saber actually came out pretty close, even though there was no 'tiny nose and mouth' option. WAR is definitely not anime-friendly







As a bonus though she even got Saber's invisible sword.










Gerard Way was easy to recreate once I started using girls. This was expected.







As a special one I'll show you what a fair portion of people tried to do anyways. A BW Goku. To test this I searched for Goku on Realmwar under just Bright Wizards. 9 Gokus, 5 Gokuus and 17 Ssjgokus. This isn't even counting the other classes, or names like Sephirothxgoku.








Speaking of which... Pretty close eh? And I used a male character and everything. This was not expected.





In summary, I found that the only thing you could really customize was the hair, scars and eye color so I think my challenge failed. It was definitely underwhelming to someone who just came off of Fallout 3 (My guy looks like a Mythbuster). All of this doesn't matter though cause we all wear helmets right?

3 comments:

  1. Great work! I especially loved the Wolverine/Bright Wizard. I don't know who Gerard Way is, but the zealot recreation is spot on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I thank you. Gerard Way is the lead of My Chemical Romance, an emo band that was big for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I didn't even notice a lot of those things 'till you pointed 'em out. Pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete